Voltaire once said, “Common sense is not so common.” I couldn’t agree more…
Let me ask you this? Have you ever walked into a grocery store and the first thing you see is a Dad holding his baby outwards in front of him, its butt hanging out because its wearing a one-piece with a large slit purposely cut through the booty region, letting it piss ALL OVER the floor? WELL I HAVE! My reaction – I stared in awe for a few moments until I eventually asked the guy “What the F*#$ is wrong with you?!?” He didn’t understand of course, but at least I felt better! … oh China.
And this is where that little thing called Common Sense plays a large role in our lives. Of course we are all guilty of doing utterly stupid things simply because of ignorance as well as disregarding common sense even though we fully know that whatever it is we’re engaging in counters it completely.
Like all the times my best friend and I egged his cheating ex-girlfriend’s house in high school – I knew I shouldn’t do it because I could get in trouble with the PoPo and of course because in the end it actually just gives her parents a headache and her little brother a pain in the ass chore to do for $5/hour. Sorry!
Okay, so, sometimes those stupid things that disregard common sense end up being some of the more nostaligic memories in our lives that let us look back with a smile. I love those moments, and fully encourage anyone to go out and seek them. Of course, have a little freaking common sense and don’t go egging peoples’ houses you barely know! That’s a little wisdom I’ve learned from my lack of common sense. 😉
Common Sense Mistakes that Make One Look Dumb
But what I am more concerned with is our lack of common sense in other areas of our lives. The areas that don’t give us nostaligic memories of the good ole’ days but of just simply being, well, a dumbass.
That voice in our head that says “hmm, maybe I shouldn’t let my baby piss all over a grocery store floor… People probably don’t want to see that. Its probably as unhygenic as me peeing in a urinal placed next to the line station in a restaurant’s kitchen. Plus, it makes me look like an asshole.” Why do we so often disrgard this voice?
Some other examples of Lacking Common Sense might include:
- A driver running over someones’ dog and not even stopping to help
- A fight breaks out and no one attemps to break it up (In China this is the best because they always try to whip out these goofy kung-fu moves they’ve picked up from years of idolizing Jackie Chan – he is the shit here by the way – The Brad Pitt of China – minus the strong jawline and beautiful body. mmm!)
- Playing Russian Roulette – Well Duh!
- Drinking and Driving. Period.
- Drugs. Period. (Unless you’re a resident of Boulder, CO, California, and a few other states in which case just don’t become a jam-band obsessed, non-showering hippie Pot Head okay!)
- Eating a Big Mac…or 3…and then supersizing it. (Although eating just 1 is a lack of common sense)
- George W. Bush – Enough Said. (Also a person who thinks “Dubya” was a kick-ass President)
- Men with mustaches (Unless you’re Tom Selleck [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][Richard from FRIENDS] or a Black Man [Jamie Foxx does it best. Oh, and Stringer from the Wire. I could go on or awhile.. ;)] get rid of that shit guys!)
- Spending more than a year in China to live in pollution that is as scary, unstoppable, and deadly as the Black Smoke Monster in LOST. 😉
Smart is Sexy
We have so much potential to Learn. To be Smart. To be Intelligent. To not be a Dumbass! Smart is Sexy! It baffles me why so many of us simply get lazy when we have the chance to actually try something different, or challenge our beleifs, or learn something new. We get so caught up in own ways, in our modes of thinking, in our delusional perceptions of what is and isn’t common sense.
If we’d just take a moment to think about the situation and to evaluate what possible decisions we have to choose from… To look in the mirror and see that the mustache you’ve been growing out makes you look like white trash! To not get behind the wheel after a crazy drinking night and realize the spot on the floor underneath the pool table is practically the same as a kingsize bed (twin) at the Ritz (Super 8)! To be a good friend or family member despite any drama when they need you the most. To not listen to crappy music by Miley Cirus! … Common Sense People! These things are so obvious!
The Difference Between Being a Dumbass and Being Wrong
Category One: Dumbass.
When I was a sophomore in high school I woke up with a bad hairday a few days in a row. I had this freaking cowlick where my bangs were and it made me look more awkward than a 14 year old girl already does! (Crap I guess I was more like 16… Wow that makes this a little more embarrassing) In my frustration, I decided it would be a good idea to just cut the whole damn thing off. And so, without thinking, I grabbed my bangs, and with one snip about a half inch from my scalp I simply cut them off. FAIL.
This, my friends, is an example of a lack of common sense that while is in the dumbass category, is excusable. Of course I laugh about it now… and gave my friends a good laugh… I wore a ski hat to school for about 5 months until I looked a little less stupid once they grew to be 2 inches long. FAIL AGAIN.
Category Two: Wrong.
As mentioned there are ways in which neglecting common sense has much more serious consequences than broken eggs on a porch or the unsexiness of 1 inch bangs. These are the things that can go wrong but we tell ourselves, “Oh that could never happen to me.” The worst case scenarios of the bar fights, drunk driving, estranging yourself from friends and family. And so, on a more serious note…
When I was a freshman in college (go hokies), my best friend Cathlyn’s boyfriend Brian was hit by a drunk driver whom then fled the scene. Two days later he died. I remember being in the hospital with her when they announced to his friends and family that there was nothing else they could do. Seeing the greif, pain, and saddness on their faces when the news came is something that I’ll always always always remember. Because the consequence to this stupid drunk’s actions was taking someone’s life whom had barely gotten to even live yet, and robbing his family and friends of him as well.
This, my friends, is an example of a lack of common sense that we need to think about more. Consider the consequences of your actions. Don’t just think about how they affect you, but how they affect those around you, and also how they affect people you don’t even know. The significance of our lives, the actions we take, and the way we make decisions affect others more than we give ourselves credit for.
Today’s Call to Action
I think there is only one thing to truly say for today’s Call to Action. And that is this:
Think before you do. Think before you say. Think before you ask. Think before you hate, judge, or fight. And most of all, Think about the credit you deserve for considering how you can be the best person you can be.
And for the love of God, please remember, be cool stay in school, doing drugs is like eating poop, and put diapers on your babies!